Established in the year 2002, department of pharmacology and therapeutics initiated its teaching activities in May 2004.
- To impart Knowledge, Skill, Attitude and Mould students of next generation
- To enable them to prescribe drugs judiciously and effectively
- To maintain competence in academics and research throughout their professional life.
Department is conducting innovative researches for better understanding of basic principles of pharmacology. Research in Pharmacovigilence and ADR monitoring is done by trained faculty. Clinical Pharmacology studies are actively being pursued by the faculty members. Future projects on herbal research and drug screening.
The quality programmes enable the students to excel in their examinations. More than 90 percent pass rate in University examinations in this subject HOD of the department has delivered several guest lectures and is a resource person in CME programmes and conferences. Faculties are trained through Teachers Training programmes, Faculty Development workshops, Curriculum Reform workshops. Made paper presentations in National and Regional conferences Research publications in national and international journals: HOD is the member secretary of Human Ethics Committee of this Institution and Chairman of Human Ethics Committee at Government Medical College, Trivandrum. HoD is also the Member – Board of studies KUHS and member board of studies (PG) of Kerala University and chairman board of studies (UG) of Kerala University and convener of Pharmacovigilance committee. HoD is also the faculty in charge of Central Library of this Institution.
CME on ‘Good Clinical Practice’ was conducted on 8th December 2016 Department has conducted workshop on research methodology and ethical issues on biomedical research. Organized a CME programme on coagulation, DIC and sepsis syndrome in association with Physiology department. A Pharmacovigilance committee has been organized with HOD as the convener of the committee. Actively participated in National, Regional, State level conferences.
- Teaching being done for MBBS, Bsc.Nursing, Optometry and DOTT students
- Academic activities include Lectures, Practicals, Project works, Tutorials, Seminars and Symposiums
- PBL and CAL methods of teaching
- Integrated teaching methods to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of understanding
- Clinical Pharmacology training in Rational therapeutics, Essential drugs, clinical trials, Adverse drug reaction and Pharmacovigilence, prescription writing, Critical analysis of prescription, drug promotion literature and fixed drug combinations. Interpretation of Laboratory data, Pharmacokinetic charts, Pharmacodynamic charts, experimental pharmacology charts, Awareness of Ethics committees – model informed consent form etc. Students are trained in Pharmacovigilance programme of India with ADR reporting in standard form.
- Periodic evaluation of students is done by monthly tests and sessional exams.
Well developed training programmes structured as per National standards
- A museum depicting History of Pharmacology, Nobel Laureates, sources of drugs, Routes of administration of drugs, basic mechanism of drug action, and adverse effects, more than 500 drug specimens systematically arranged and detailed information about drugs.
- Herbarium with valuable medicinal plants
- Departmental Library with more than hundred indispensible books in pharmacology and allied subjects. Online journals (national and international) available at Central Library.
- Well furnished demonstration room.
- Audiovisual Teaching Aids- LCD projector, Overhead projector
- Fully fledged laboratory with sophisticated equipments
- Research and clinical pharmacology laboratory
- Experimental pharmacology laboratory
- Clinical Pharmacy laboratory
- Software’s for Computer Aided Learning , Simulation, Experiments
- Internet facilities, e-books and e- journals State of the art equipments like Digital spectrophometer, Digital photoactometer, Filter photo colorimeter, centrifuges, Analgesiometer, pole climbing apparatus, incubator, tablet disintegration machine, Vortex mixer and many more .
- A comparative study of self-medication among medical, paramedical in Dr. SMCSI Medical College and non-medical students in Scott Christian College.
- Effect of silymarin against methyl-phenyl-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP) induced Parkinson’s disease in mice.
- Effect of silymarin on diet induced hypercholestrolemic rats.
- Pharmacoeconomic analysis of drugs used for Bronchial asthma in India.
Dr. J. SUJIT RALIN DANIEL
Dr. SHAJIL ANAND JUSTIN
Dr. PRASANAND. S
- To pursue post graduate and doctoral programmes in the department
- To pursue collaborative research of national and international reputation
- To organize guest lectutres by eminent personalities in newer developments on pharmacology
- To participate and contribute to National Health Programmes
- To set up a clinical pharmacology unit and TDM centre
- To set up an Adverse drug reaction monitoring centre (PvPI)
- To Set up a CAL lab for students
- To set up a genetic lab for pursuing collaborative research
- To set up a Quality control lab.
- An in-house periodic journal with the latest events in the field .
|1||A Prospective study of prescribing pattern ofdrugs in post-operativepatients of GynecologyDepartment in South India||Dr Prasanand Sasidharan||Medical Managementand Use 2016 at Ramachandra University Chennai|
|1||A prospective study on evaluation of maternal and foetal outcomes of hypothyroidism with levothyroxine and prevalence of hypothyroidism in pregnancy in a tertiary care teaching hospital in Kerala||Shajil A. Justin, Merin S. Johnson||Internal Journal of Basic and Clinical Pharmacology||March 2020 Volume 9 Issue 3 pISSN 2319-2003, eISSN 2279-0780|
|2||Prevalence and practice of self-medication among undergraduate medical students and non-medical students in South India||J Sujit Ralin Daniel, Prasanand S Suba Joice, Priscilla Jeba Rani||Internal Journal of Basic and Clinical Pharmacology||March 2019 Volume 8 Issue 3|
|3||Efficacy and safety of pregabalin versus amitriptyline in patients with painful diabetic neuropathy||Sujit R Daniel, Dinesh K Badyal, Jubbin J Jacob, Jasleen Kaur||International Journal of Advances in Medicine||May- June 2018 Volume 5 Issue 3|
|4||Effect of silybin in 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6 tetrahydropyridine (MPTP) induced parkinsonism in mice||Shajil Anand Justin, Senthil Gobalakrishnan, Sylvia Santhakumari Asirvatham||Internal Journal of Basic and Clinical Pharmacology||October 2017 volume 6 Issue 10 ISSN:2319-2003(Print) ISSN: 2279-0780 (Online)|
|5||An observational prospective study on prescribing pattern of drugs among pregnant women admitted in antenatal ward of a tertiary care teaching hospital in coastal town of South India||Prasanand Sasidharan, Bhanu Prakash Kolasani, Divyashanthi||National Journal of Physiology, Pharmacy and Pharmacology||July 2016 Volume 7 Issue 1|
|6/td>||Opinion of stakeholders on existing curriculum for postgraduate (MD) course in Pharmacology : A survey||Dinesh K Badyal, Sujit R Daniel||Indian Journal of Pharmacology||October 2016 Volume 48|
|7||Efficacy of Vitamin E supplementation in patients with alcoholic liver disease : An open labeled, prospective, randomized comparative study||Bhanu Prakash Kolasani, Prasanand Sasidharan, Adithiya Kumar||International Journal of Nutrition, Pharmacology, Neurological Diseases||July-Sept 2016; 6:101-10|
|8||Prescription analysis of both H1 and H2 antihistamines among in-patients of dermatology department of a tertiary care teaching hospital in a coastal town of south India||Bhanu Prakash Kolasani, C. M. Divyashanthi, Prasanand Sasidharan, Sri Venkateswaran Kothandapany||National Journal of Physiology, Pharmacy and Pharmacology||July 2016; 6 (6).|
|9||Prevalence, severity, causes and drugs used for depression, stress and anxiety among junior doctors in a tertiary care teaching hospital in south India||Prasanand Sasidharan, Bhanu P. Kolasani, Divyashanthi C.M.||International Journal of Basic and Clinical Pharmacology||May-June 2016; 5:1118-24|
|10||Clinical Response of Levodopa, Carbidopa Combination in Patients with Idiopathic Parkinsonism||Abhijith Lalesh Merajoth, Pradeep Sadasivan Pillai, Thomas Iype||Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research||2016; May Vol – 10(5) : FC07-FC10|
|11||Vitamin E improves quality of life in patients with alcoholic liver disease||Bhanu Prakash Kolasani, Prasanand Sasidharan, Divyashanthi C M, AdithiyaKumar||National Journal of Physiology, Pharmacy and Pharmacology||NJPPP, April 2016; 6(3).|
|12||A prospective comparative Study of the Toxicity Profile of 5–flurouracil, Adriamycin, Cyclophosphamide Regime VS Adriamycin, Paclitaxel Regime in Patients with Locally Advanced Breast Carcinoma||Jihana Shajahan, Pradeep Sadasivan Pillai and Krishnan Nair Lalithamma Jayakumar||Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research||2015; December (1).|
|13||Loop diuretic-induced hyponatremia: a case report||Bhanu Prakash Kolasani, C. M. Divya Shanthi, Prasanand Sasidharan||International Journal of Basic and Clinical Pharmacology||IJBCP, October 2015; 4(5): 1031-1033|
|14||A Prospective Comparative study of the toxicity profile in patients receiving Cisplatin-Paclitaxel VS Carboplatin Paclitaxel in advanced Ovarian Cancer||Susan Joseph, Pradeep S., K.L Jayakumar||International Journal of Medicine & Pharmaceutical Sciences||Volume 6, Issue 1, September 2015|
|15||Study on the Adverse Drug Reactions in patients at a tertiary care centre||Pradeep.S. , Jitha S||International Journal of Medicine & Pharmaceutical Sciences||Volume 5, Issue 9, May 2015|
|16||A cross-sectional, community based study of addiction of alcohol in Karaikal||G.Vijayakumar Nair, Prasanand.S , Bhanu Prakash Kolasani||Shansgrace Journal of Medical Sciences||March 2015; 2(1).|
|17||Effectiveness & safety of Lacosamide as add- on therapy in localization related Epilepsy||Jitha.S, Pradeep.S., Thomas Iype, P. Gopalakrishnan||International Journal of Medicine & Pharmaceutical Sciences||Volume 5, Issue 3, October 2014|
|18||A cross sectional study of surveillance of Adverse Drug Reactions in-in patient departments of a tertiary care hospital||Ambili Remesh, Aswathy Balan, Aengela Gnanadurai||Journal of Basic and Clinical Physiology and Pharmacology||2014|
|19||The knowledge, attitude and the perception of prescribers on the rationale use of antibiotics and the need for antibiotic policy-a cross sectional survey in a tertiary care hospital||Ambili Remesh, A.M. Gayathri,Rohit Singh, K.G. Retnavally||Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research||2013|
|20||Antibiotics prescribing pattern in the inpatient departments of a tertiary care hospital||Ambili Remesh,Samna Salim,A.M.Gayathri,KG Retnavally||Archives of Pharmacy Practice||2013, Volume 4, Issue 2|
|Teaching Staff of Department of Pharmacology|
|SL NO:||NAME OF FACULTY||DESIGNATION|
|1||Dr. Pradeep S||Professor and HOD|
|2||Dr Prasanand S.||Professor|
|3||Dr. J. Sujit Ralin Daniel||Associate Professor|
|4||Dr. Shajil Anand Justin||Assistant Professor|
|5||Dr. Anjana A. S||Tutor|
|6||Dr. Ciji J. I||Tutor|
|7||Dr. Vishnu Mohan||Tutor|
Dr. Pradeep S
Professor and HOD (MD)
College Latest News
- 31 Mar 2020
- 02 Sep 2016
25 Years In Healing