Established in the year 2002,Department of community medicine is actively involved in the academic, research and field activities. The department is well equipped with fully furnished staff rooms, demonstration rooms, and library cum seminar room, museum, research laboratory and store. The department library has 140 books and other equipments like projectors, microscopes, incubator, centrifuge, ILR, computers, laptops, laser printers etc.
To develop a group of medical graduates for being proactive in identifying and responding to public health challenges the society is facing.
To bring out a group of Medical Graduates who can practice the science of medicine with Social responsibility and social accountability and provide cost effective, value based Primary Health care.
To equip the students to function efficiently and effectively as first level physicians in the community in accordance with the committed vision and mission of community medicine.
To train Medical Students with knowledge, attitude and skills required to become doctors with empathy and love, who can effectively function as healthcare providers, decision makers, communicators, community leaders and managers in rural and urban settings.
Department of Community Medicine is actively involved in the Academic, Research and Field activities.
Academic activities as per Kerala University of Health Sciences.
- General Medical Camps in the field practice areas under the Department.
- School Health Activities.
Awareness classes for students and parents
- Adolescent Health
Awareness classes for students and parents
- Community Based Screening programmes
Breast cancer screening
Oral cancer screening
Cervical cancer screening
Screening for Hypertension and Diabetes
- Observance of days of Public health importance.
a)World No Tobacco Day and Substance abuse
b)World Breast Feeding Week observance
c)International Nurses day
d)World Heart Day Celebration
e)World Diabetic Day
f)World TB Day
g)World AIDS Day
h)World Disability Day
f)World Health Day
- Activities related to National Health Programmes
- Teaching being done for MBBS, Post Graduate students, Bsc.Nursing and MHA students.
- Academic activities include Lectures, Practicals, and Project works, Seminars and Symposiums, Community Orientation Programs.
- Integrated teaching methods to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of learning.
- Periodic evaluation of students is done by End posting examinations and sessional examinations.
Teaching and training are facilitated through well developed training programmes structured as per Kerala University of Health Sciences curriculum.
- CME on "EXPLORO-2018 : A Post Graduate Refresher Workshop" on 26th and 27th February 2018. Resourse persons were Dr. B G Parasuramalu, Profeesor, Dept. of Community Medicine, RajaRajewari Medical College and Hospital, Bangalore, Dr. Anuja U, Professor and Head, Dept. of Community Medicine, Govt. Medical College, Kollam and Dr. Rakesh P S, Asst. Professor, Dept. of Community Medicine, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi
- CME on “Clinical Management of Coronary Artery Disease” on January 9th 2015. Guest lecture on Epidemiology of CAD, Management of acute coronary syndrome, Diet and CAD, Smoking cessation and physical activity by Dr.Indu P.S, Dr.SunithaViswanathan, Dr.Anitha Mohan, Dr.Sankar Ram and Dr.Sheena.G.Soman.
- CME on TB – “CME on Unite to end TB way forward for health professionals” conducted by Department.of.Community medicine in March 2016 in coordination with the District TB Centre, Thiruvananthapuram.
- Workshops on Research Methodology for 2012 batch on 27th& 28th March 2015 and for 2013 batch on 15.12.2016
- 17.05.2016: International Nurses day observed by the Department.
- Data Management workshop 19th& 20th June 2015
- ‘Workshop on thesis guidance is fun’ Guest speaker Dr.Prem Mony Asso.Prof & Epidemiologist, St,Johns Medical College and research institute Bangalore impart knowledge on “ How to keep track of key aspects of thesis, covering the requirements from the university side”
- Panel Discussion for ORT Weeks held on 04.08.15 was organized by Dept.of Community Medicine & Dept. of Paediatrics
- Protocol Writing Workshop for 3rd semester students organized by Dept.of. Community Medicine every year.
- Teachers Training workshop on early identification of Disability conducted on 30.03.2016 at Christian college of Education, Marthandam.
- Protocol Development workshop for first year PGs conducted by Dept.of. Community Medicine every year in coordination with the Central research lab.
- Workshop on “Breast Feeding: A Key to Sustainable Development” was conducted at Gallery Hall, Dr.SMCSI Medical College on 4/8/2016 organized by Department of Community Medicine and CSI College of Nursing supported by comprehensive Rehabilitation project.
- World Health Day 2017- Poster contest for medical and nursing students of our institution held on 07.4.2017 with theme “ Depression Let us talk.”
- 30.3.2017 – Awareness class on Sexual and Reproductive Health at P K S Higher secondary school was conducted by Dr. Y Suba Joice.
- World TB Day 2017 -Awareness class for ASHA workers on implementation of daily regime was conducted on 20.3.2017. The session was inaugurated by Dr. Sindhu MP, District TB Officer. Programme was sponsored by District TB Centre and CBM.
- 19.03.2017 – Dr. M C. Vasantha Mallika, Associate Professor evaluated Oral presentation of scientific papers by Post graduates, chairing the session in India clen National Conference 2017, held at Thiruvananthapuram.
- 09.03.2017- IDSP Orientation program for Medical college faculty held at NHM Hall, DHS Office, Thiruvananthapuram - Dr. M C. Vasantha Mallika, Nodal officer, IDSP represented Dr.SM CSI Medical college.
- 07.3.2017 – Medical camp organized in connection with NGO – Bridge of Hope at Karungal, Kanyakumari district.
- 08.3.2017 - Breast cancer screening camp by the Department faculty and post graduates organized in Kattakada in association with Women’s forum. Awareness session was conducted by Dr.SoumyaGopakumar.
- 03.03.2017 – Dr. M C. Vasanthamallika and Dr.Suba Joice, trained faculty members from Regional centre MCI Nodal centre, Kottayam functioned as resource persons in the Revised Basic Course in Medical Education Technology held by the Medical Education Unit.
- 27.01.2017 - Health Awareness programme for Mothers of adolescent children (“Amma Ariyan”) at P K S Higher secondary school, Kanjiramkulam conducted by Dr. M C. Vasanthamallika, Associate Professor, Community Medicine.
- 26.01.2017 - School health talk was conducted in P K S Higher secondary school, Kanjiramkulam by Dept of community medicine for adolescent boys and girls Dr. Blessed Singh took class for boys and Dr. Suba & Dr.SoumyaGopakumar took class for girls.
- Research Methodology Workshop for undergraduate medical students is planned on last week of April 2017
|DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNITY MEDICINE|
|Extraction Apparatus, fat, complete Filter,
Pasteur chamberland, complete set
|Filter, Berke feld||1|
|Hydrometres, wet and dry BULB incubator, electric||3|
|Models, charts, diagram etc.||30|
|Balance analytical 200 gm||available|
|Balance for weighing food stuff||available|
|Weighing machine adult||4|
|Salters Baby weighing machine||4|
|Herpenders Callipers (for skin fold thickeness||nil|
|Height measuring stand||1|
|Refrigerator 9 cu.ft||1|
|Ice Lined Refrigerator (I.L.R)||1|
|T.V., V.C.R||1 each|
|Still for distilled water||1|
|Over Head Projector||2|
|Baby Weighing machine||1|
|Maximum and minimun thermometer||1|
|The rural and health centres for training of undergraduate student
shall be suitably equipped alongwith adequate transport
The quality programmes enable the students to excel in their examinations.More than 90 percent pass rate in University examinations in this subject.Faculty of the department have delivered several guest lectures and functioned as a resource persons in CME programmes and conferences.Faculties are trained through Teachers Training programmes, Faculty Development workshops, and Curriculum Reform workshops.Faculty and students have made paper presentations in National and Regional conferences Have made Research publications in national and international journals.Actively participated in National, Regional, State level conferences.
|1||Prevalence of Diarrhoea between Rotavirus immunized and non-immunized under five children||Dr. Nesamony Maneksh Kumar, Dr. Delinda Linu Swornila , Miss Sruthi S||International Journal of Scientific Research||Volume 6, Issue 5 May 2017, ISSN 2277-8179|
|2||Knowledge, Attitude and Practice of Breastfeeding among mothers visiting a tertiary care center in South Kerala||Dr. Nesamony Maneksh Kumar, Dr. Delinda Linu Swornila , Miss Shruthi P||International Journal of Scientific Research||Volume 6, Issue 5 May 2017, ISSN 2277-8179|
|3||Prevalence of Prehypertension among school children of rural south Kerala, India||M.C. Vasantha Mallika, MK Siva Sree Ranga, Danita Anna Thampan||Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences||eISSN-2278-4802, pISSN 2278-4748 volume 6 Issue 25 March 2017|
|4||Prevalence and Associated Socio-Demographic factors of smoking among males in a rural area of Kozhikode District||Hassan Koya Kalathingal, Antoney Unni Xavier||Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences||pISSN:2278-4748, January 2017, Volume 6, Issue 3, 167-170|
|5||A Study on Morbidity Profile among Elderly Persons in a Rural area of Kozhikode District||Hassan Koya Kalathingal, Antoney Unni Xavier||Journal of Evidence Based Medicine and Health Care||pISSN:2349-2562, Volume 3, Issue 90, November 2016|
|6||Undergraduate Medical Education: Comparison of Seminar-based learning and Discussions in Groups||M.C. Vasantha Mallika, MK Siva Sree Ranga||International Journal of Preventive and Public Health Sciences||Jul-Aug 2016, Vol 2, Issue 2, PISSN:2454-9223|
|7||Knowledge, attitude and practices regarding Dog Bite and its Management among adults in Rural Tamilnadu||Joice YS, Singh Z, Datta SS||International Journal of Scientific Research||May 2016; 5 (5) P5 86 – 89.|
|8||A study on clinical profile of peripheral arterial disease among people attending surgical OPD at tertiary care centre in South Kerala||Anish Immanuel P, Raveendran K, Abishek R, Basanth||International Journal of Advanced Research and development||ISSN: 2455 4030, Impact factor: (RJIF 5.24) Volume 1; Issue 4; April 2016; 07 – 10|
|9||Difficulties faced by the care taker while cooking and serving in a family with hypertensive patient in rural community of south Kerala||Krishna Babu, Abishek , Praseeda.B.K, Soumya Gopakumar, Ramla Beegam M||International Journal of Medical and health Research||ISSN: 2349 – 4182 , Impact factor: (RJIF 5.54) Volume 2; Issue 3; March 2016; 52 – 54|
|10||Prevalence of Ocular morbidity among school children of Perumkadavila, Thiruvananthapuram District||M. C. Vasantha Mallika, Siva Sree Ranga M. K||Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences||2016; Vol. 5, Issue 6, January 21; Page: 320- 324, DOI: 10. 14260/jemds/2016/325.|
|11||Patient and health system delay among new pulmonary tuberculosis patients diagnosed at medical college hospitals in Puducherry, India||Natesan M, Chauhan RC, Cherian J, Purty AJ, Singh Z, Joice S, Abraham SB||International Journal of Research and Medical Sciences||(2015), [cited March 12, 2015]; 3(1): 188-193.|
|12||Prevalence of Prehypertension among Adults Attending rural Community Health Centre, South Kerala, India||M. C. Vasantha Mallika, Siva Sree Ranga M. K||Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences||2015; Vol. 4, Issue 14, February 16; Page: 2221-2226, DOI: 10.14260/jemds/2015/325|
|13||A study on obstetric profile of mothers undergoing primary caesarean section and their neonatal outcome in a tertiary care centre, South Kerala||Moni M, Thanganadar AT, Joice YS||International Journal of Biomedical and Advance Research||2015; 6(12):835-8.|
|14||A Survey on Immunization Coverage among children of rural South Kerala||M. C. Vasantha Mallika, Siva Sree Ranga M. K||Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences||2014; Vol. 3, Issue 34, August 11; Page: 9113-9123, DOI: 10. 14260/jemds/2014/3176|
|15||Study on Knowledge, Attitude And Practice of Tuberculosis Among Rural Population of Tamil Nadu||Dr. D Dimri, Venkatachalam J, Z Singh, S Joyce , Anil J. Purty, Joy Bazroy||International Journal of Contemporary Medicine||2014: 2(1)99-104.|
|16||Pattern of Gynecological morbidity ,it’s factors & Health seeking behavior among reproductive age group women in a rural community of Thiruvananthapuram district South Kerala||Abraham A,Varghese S,Satheesh M,Vijayakumar K,Gopakumar S,Mendez AM||Indian Journal of Community Health||2014:26(3);230-237|
|17||Screening of peripheral neuropathy among diabetic patients in Urban Health Center Chidambaram||R.Abishek ,N.Ethirajan, P.K.Govindarajan,et.al,||Journal of drug discovery and therapeutics||2 (20) 2014, 54 – 58|
|18||Study on frequency and duration of peripheral neuropathy among known case of type II diabetes mellitus > 30 years in chidadambaram Urban population||R.Abishek, T.M.Jayashree, A,J.W.Felix, N.Ethirajan et.al||Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research||Res.4 (3), 141 -145, 2014|
|19||Comparison of macintosh blade and mccoy blade for glottis exposure and ease of intubation||G.Jabanesh Rose, R.Abishek||Journal of drug discovery and therapeutics||2 (22) 2014, 36 – 38|
|20||Comparative performance of the probable case definitions of dengue by WHO (2009) and the WHO SEAR expert group (2014).||Zinia T Nujam,Achu Thomas,K Vijayakumar, Radhakrishnan R Nair,Radhakrishnan Pillai,P S Indu ,Syam Sunder,Soumya Gopakumar,Devi Mohan||Pathogens and Global Health||2014;108(2):103-10.|
|21||Study on knowledge attitude and practice of Lymphatic Filariasis among coastal adult population of Pondicherry||Dimri Dinesh, Venkatachalam J, Senthilvel, Singh Z, Bazroy Joy, Purty Anil J||Indian Journal of public Health research & development||2014, 5(4) P. 20 – 24|
|22||Recommendations for a New Nutrition Policy for India||Thekkumkara Surendran Nair Anish,Pallipurathu reghunathan Nair Sreelakshmi, Gopakumar Soumya,Scaria Sonia,A Althaf,Nair MKC||Academic Medical Journal of India||Volume 1, Issue 1 , 2013|
|23||Assessment of Nutritional Status and Morbidity Pattern among School Children in Rural Puducherry, South India||Joice YS, Velavan A, Natesan M, Singh Z,Purty AJ, Hector H||Academic Medical Journal of India.||2013|
|24||Prevalence of Chest Symptomatics in Rural Population of Kancheepuram District, South India||Dinesh Dimri, Venkatachalam J, Z. Singh, S. Joyce, Anil J. Purty, Sathya||Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences.||Issue 6 , 2013|
- The department library is equipped with books updated with latest editions covering all aspects of Public Health and allied subjects. Online journals (national and international) are also available which facilitates post graduate learning.
- Equipments, well furnished demonstration rooms, Audiovisual Teaching Aids, and research facilities are available as per MCI norms.
- Peripheral Health Centre.Rural and Urban Health Centres:
The department is well equipped with fully furnished staff rooms, demonstration rooms, practical laboratory and library cum seminar room, museum, research laboratory and store.
|Names of the peripheral health centres.||Rural Health Training Centre, Nellikkakuzhy owned by the Institution.||Govt CHC Vellarada.||Govt PHC, Kunnathukal.||Urban Health Training Centre, Kazhakuttom.|
|Location of the centres||Neyattinkara Taluk||Neyattinkara Taluk||Neyattinkara Taluk||Trivandrum Corporation.|
- Short Term Studentship programme - ICMR
Indian Council of Medical Research – Short Term Studentship programme for undergraduate medical students are being guided by the faculty in the department.
- Undergraduate research projects.
Undergraduate students are encouraged to do projects and present papers in the National Students’ conferences. Most of the students won best paper awards during all academic years.
- Post graduate research projects
Thesis work and other research works
- Papers presented in National Conferences.
Oral paper presentations were made in the National Conference, IAPSM 2017, held at Gandhinagar, Gujarat Medical Education and Research Society, Gujarat by Dr. M.C. VasanthaMallika (Associate Professor), and by Post Graduate student, Dr.KrishnaBabu. S
Poster presentation by Post Graduate student Dr. Praseeda.B.K
11 (2015) and 6 ( 2016) Medical students made oral paper presentations guided by the Department in the KUHS National Conference on Students’ Medical Research held at Government Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram.
- To pursue collaborative research of national and international reputation
- To participate and contribute to National Health Programmes
- An in-house periodic journal with the latest events in the field.
|Teaching Staff of Department of Community Medicine|
|SL NO:||NAME OF FACULTY||DESIGNATION|
|1||Dr. Kalai Selvi. C||LMO|
|2||Dr. Naveen Sukumaran Nair||Assistant Professor|
|3||Dr. Jincy . J||Assistant Professor|
|4||Dr. S. Blessed Singh||Professor and HOD|
|5||Dr. M. C. Vasantha Mallika||Professor|
|6||Dr. Dinesh Dimri||Associate Professor|
|7||Dr. Y. Suba Joice||Epidemiologist- Associate Professor|
|8||Dr. Antoney Unni Xavier||Associate Professor|
|9||Dr. Soumya Gopakumar||Assistant Professor|
|10||Dr. Abhishek .R||Assistant Professor|
|11||Dr. N.Maneksh Kumar||Assistant Professor|
|12||Dr. Amgias Vasanth A. M||Assistant Professor|
|13||Dr. Krishna Babu. S||Tutor|
|15||Dr. Judith R.||Tutor|
|16||Dr Vijila Vijayan||Tutor|
|17||Dr. Veena. S||Tutor|
|18||Dr. Sarojini. P. K||LMO|
|19||Dr. Beena Idicheriya Bhasy||Tutor|
|20||Dr. Arya Nair. P. M||LMO|
|21||Miss. Sruthy Sathyan||Statistician-cum-Tutor|
|22||Mr. Arjun . C||Statistician-cum-Tutor|
Dr. S. Blessed Singh
Professor and HOD (MD)
(Promoted as Professor on 5.2.2012)
College Latest News
- 02 Sep 2016
- 14 Sep 2016
25 Years In Healing